The Ebenezer United Church of Christ had its humble beginning near the present site in May, 1882. The need for a church in our community was felt by a group of interested men and women who had to walk from their homes to the Arches Grove Christian Church for worship services.
Their dream became a reality when a decision was made to hold Sunday School and prayer meetings weekly in an old frame building, formerly used as a cotton gin owned by J. Kirk located in the Richmond Hill Community, Company Shops which was later named Burlington, North Carolina.
The first church was organized in this building with approximately thirty members. Among these pioneers with a vision were Mr. M.A. Albright, Mr. Brown Cooper, Mr. James Hazel, Mr. Wiley Headen, Mr. Lucien Sellars and Mr. Henry Turner. Mr. Wiley Headen served as leader until a pastor was chosen.
When the congregation outgrew the small frame building, a decision was made to build a larger frame church. Rev. J.D. Levister donated a portion of the land for the new church. After about five years of planning, the first Ebenezer Christian Church was built under the leadership of Rev. Brutus Young, assisted by Rev. J.D. Dunn in organizing the church. Rev. Dunn served as pastor from 1882 – 1889. The Deacon Board, Missionary Circle # 1, and the Senior Choir were organized. The church membership continued to grow under the pastorate of Rev. J.D. Mabrey (1889 – 1898), Rev. L.A. Ruffin and Rev. C.W. Ray (1898 – 1903), and Rev. J.H. McBroom (1908 – 1916).
When the members of the church decided to build a brick structure under the pastorate of J.W. Patton (1916 – 1919), Deacons Byrd Chandler, James Hazel, Henry Turner and Lucian Sellars mortgaged their homes as collateral for the loan.
During the pastorate of Rev. C.A. Harris (1921 – 1930) the first church mortgage was burned. Rev. I.D.C. Goodson served as pastor (1930 – 1933).
The second brick church was built under the pastorate of Rev. W.M. Lake (1933 – 1969). The church dedication was held on April 26, 1964. The following organizations were formed:
Deacon & Deaconess Board
Pastor’s Aide Society
Missionary Circle # 2
Boy & Girl Scout Troops
Senior & Junior Usher Boards
Vacation Bible School
Sunbeam & Junior Choirs
Ladies Aide Society
The decision was later made by the members to merge with the Southern Conference of the United Church of Christ. Prior to joining the Southern Conference, the church was a member of the Lincoln Conference. As a result, our church name was changed from Ebenezer Christian Church to Ebenezer United Church of Christ.